Dewhurst Stakes Preview: Tips, Betting Offers and Odds, 2.55 at Newmarket, 12 October 2019
With the flat season beginning to draw to a close in October, those that aren’t getting their Cheltenham Festival bets prepped are probably turning their thoughts to the following season’s Classic contests. Few races are as useful for providing pointers to future success as Newmarket’s Dewhurst Stakes. Here we take a look at the best odds and offers surrounding this high class juvenile event and provide our betting tips for the race.
This 7f Group 1 event open to two year old colts and fillies was first run at Newmarket in 1875 and has grown to be one of the highest profile juvenile contests of the calendar year. Held on the Rowley mile course, the race now offers a whopping £500,000 in total prize money. Unsurprisingly, some truly top class horses will be going to post, as ever.
Be sure to check out our Cesarewitch betting tips too, another great race taking place this weekend.
Dewhurst Stakes Betting Tips
Odds correct at the time of writing and are subject to change.
- Tips coming soon…
Free Bet, Enhanced Odds and Betting Offers
We’ll update the list below as more offers specific to the Dewhurst are released:
- Offers coming soon…
- Check out our top horse racing free bets
Dewhurst Stakes 2019 Tips and Betting Preview
Race preview coming soon.
- 2018 – Too Darn Hot – jockey Frankie Dettori, trainer John Gosden
- 2017 – US Navy Flag – jockey Ryan Moore, trainer Aidan O’Brien
- 2016 – Churchill – jockey Ryan Moore, trainer Aidan O’Brien
- 2015 – Air Force Blue – jockey Ryan Moore, trainer Aidan O’Brien
- 2014 – Belardo – jockey Andrea Atzeni, trainer Roger Varian
- 2013 – War Command – jockey Joseph O’Brien, trainer Aidan O’Brien
- 2012 – Dawn Approach – jockey Kevin Manning, trainer Jim Bolger
- 2011 – Parish Hall – jockey Kevin Manning, trainer Jim Bolger
- 2010 – Frankel – jockey Tom Queally, trainer Sir Henry Cecil
- 2009 – Beethoven – jockey Ryan Moore, trainer Aidan O’Brien
- 2008 – Intense Focus – jockey Kevin Manning, trainer Jim Bolger
- 2007 – New Approach – jockey Kevin Manning, trainer Jim Bolger
- 2006 – Teofilo – jockey Kevin Manning, trainer Jim Bolger
Dewhurst Stakes History Including Top Jockeys and Trainers
Successful breeder Thomas Gee was the man behind this prestigious event, with the Dewhurst of the title referring to his Stud operation in East Sussex. Designed to attract the highest calibre juveniles in training, the contest certainly got off to a flyer with each of the first four winners going on to land a Classic in their three year old campaigns.
This pattern of success has been almost unrelenting over the years as the race has continued to provide us with an early glimpse of greatness. Triple Crown winner, Ormonde (1885), the brilliant Nijinsky (1969) and Mill Reef (1970), record breaking Rock Of Gibraltar (2001) and the greatest racehorse of all time, Frankel (2010) are just a few of the names to be produced by this races conveyor belt of excellence.
Irish trainer Jim Bolger achieved a remarkable run of success in this race in the early 2000s, winning the contest five times between the years of 2006 and 2012. That still wasn’t enough to get him to the top of the trainer’s leader board though. John Porter in the late 19th Century, and Frank Butters in the first half of the 20th, each recorded an impressive eight successes in the contest.
It’s hard to keep track of the number of races in which Lester Piggott heads the all-time list and we have another example here. Probably the greatest flat jockey of all time, Lester came home in front here 10 times between the years of 1956 and 1982.